Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Midlife Crisis Over?

Otherwise titled, "finally getting back to housework"!

My wife teases me about running and triathlon being part of my midlife crisis! And in some respects there may be a little truth to it. Well, not the crisis part. A crisis would have involved in making drastic changes in my life, like with career or marriage! But I did have a "midlife" evaluation and decided to make changes regarding the direction of my health, how my time is spent and in what way do I want to be an example to my kids.

I think I made the right decision. Just "working out" didn't work out so I became involved with better goals and thus running and triathlon!

These changes to my daily routine was pretty hard on me at first. It was just tiring, exhausting to me. I now can exercise AND get things done around the house. I did do dishes, laundry etc. but projects were put on hold.

And I present to you example 1:

 
This is our gas fireplace shortly after building the house (2002 or 3)! BTW, when I say building, I mean it. With help, we did the electrical, insulation, sheet rock, mudding and paint, hardwood floors and tile and finally finish work. 
The plan was to put a cabinet above for the TV, etc.
We didn't like it.
So, I did this!  
 
As you can see, not even finished with the sheet rock for Christmas of 2005! 
Now here is Christmas of 2006
  
Look, I finished the sheet rock!
And here we are Christmas 2007
  
I think we did a good job of hiding the sheet rock screws! Don't you? And oh, take a look at my gut because it is GONE!
In 2008, we largely avoided pictures by the fireplace. I think that Angela may have even been a little pithy about the issue. ;-)
Here's one that snuck through. Still no mantle for my wife!
Finally, in 2009, we will be able to have a Christmas picture by the fireplace without dry wall screws. The pics are a little blurry. I may replace them tomorrow but you get the idea!

 Those taking a good luck may notice a couple of details I need to finish. A cover for the dimmer switch for a start. I promise Angela, it'll be done by the end of the weekend. No waiting another 4 years.

Now for the pantry!

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to that "midlife" thing. I joke a lot that I do all these crazy events so that I can keep running from aging.

    Not sure if it is working or not, but I'm having fun!

    See you at the OWS in a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a gas fireplace? Or electric? I'm very curious because our bedroom has an outside wall and I think it would be cool to have one of those put in!

    ReplyDelete